Watson Children’s Shelter’s Shelter Care Program
We are hiring for this position year round.
Wage and Hour Status
Position is salaried and is exempt from overtime obligations.
- Three years related experience in management, supervision of employees, budget preparation, financials, fundraising, grant writing and public relations.
- Minimum three years experience working with prevention, children and child-related programs, including children with special needs, e.g. severe emotional disturbances, cognitively or developmentally delayed, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education, social work, human services, public administration or related field. Master’s degree in related field is preferred.
- Experience with public or private non-profit corporations is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Three strong and relevant professional references, only one of which may be from a WCS employee or Board member.
- Successfully pass pre-employment screening through the Department of Public Health and Human Services and the Montana Department of Justice.
- Must meet minimum age requirements imposed by the Department of Public Health and Human Services and by the WCS’s vehicle-insurance carrier.
- Serves under the general direction of the Watson Children’s Shelter Board of Directors. The Board of Directors alone has the ability to hire, evaluate and terminate the Executive Director.
- Provides direct supervision to the Shelter Program Director, Healthy Foundations Program Director, Director of Finance and Administration and the Development Director. This can include daily work assignments, scheduling, quality-service assurance and evaluation.
General Work Characteristics
- Hours of work – Position will work as many hours per week as is necessary to complete assigned duties. However, a 40-hour work week is expected, on the average. Hours of work may vary from week to week, depending on the programmatic and administrative needs of the Shelter and Healthy Foundations. Benefits are approved through the WCS Board of Directors and may change through their advisement.
- Maintain contact with volunteer board, staff, media, community based organizations, granting institutions, and the general public.
- Provide informational presentations to various groups as requested and as needed.
- Work with the Program Directors, Director of Finance and Administration, Development Director, Board of Directors and related committees to ensure fiscal continuity and strategic direction of Watson Children’s Shelter and Healthy Foundations.
- Participate with the governing board and staff in implementing the WCS mission, program development, and development of strategic long-range plans to continue to protect and better serve children into the future.
- Comply with, promote, and enforce all corporation policies, and all pertinent governmental policies.
- Strictly adhere to all governmental and WCS policies prohibiting abuse, neglect, or exploitation of children. This includes reporting any suspected offenses on the part of other individuals, immediately, to the Department of Public Health and Human Services and to employee’s supervisor(s) and taking first-response initiative to report and investigate all alleged violations for staff assigned.
- Help promote a positive image of WCS and uphold successful public relations throughout all assigned work, and assure all assigned staff’s adherence to this standard.
- Attend staff meetings when necessary and maintain positive and open communication with all WCS employees and volunteers.
- Strictly protect confidentiality of information concerning families or children in services, donors and fellow staff; this includes refraining from sharing confidential information with individuals whose jobs do not require the information. Ensure assigned staff adherence to this standard.
- Support and supervise the Shelter Program Director in the implementation and development of service planning for all children in the Shelter. This includes developmentally and age-appropriate planning and services for childrens full array of needs; social, emotional, psychological, physical, nutritional, and educational.
- Support and supervise the Healthy Foundations Program Director in the implementation and development of service planning for all families in the program. Ensure the all standards of the program are being met.
- Service Delivery
- Oversee all service planning, implementation and development for children as executed by the Shelter and Healthy Foundations Program Directors. Includes evaluating and recommending changes in the service-delivery systems and assuring a safe and secure physical and health environment.
- Oversee and maintain ongoing compliance with all licensing standards in the Shelter and Healthy Foundations Program in collaboration with Shelter Program Director and Healthy Foundations Program Director.
- Assist and supervise the Director of Finance and Administration concerning service enrollments and numbers, occupancy and billing information, financials and bookkeeping, payroll, routine and special reports (internal and external), and other, related, special assignments as they arise.
- Ensure compliance with guidelines in the recruitment and hiring of personnel for Watsons Children’s Shelter and its Healthy Foundations program.
- Provide supervision of Shelter and Healthy Foundations Program Directors, Director of Finance and Administration, and Development Director. This includes orientation and assignment of duties clarification – and any needed re-clarification – of job descriptions and assigned tasks, observation and feedback, evaluation, training, disciplinary actions, and other supervision and support activities.
- Collaborate with the Shelter and Healthy Foundations Directors and Director of Finance and Administration regarding the development and monitoring of budgets. Adhere to budget guidelines as established by the WCS and Board of Directors, and provide like-guidelines to Shelter and Healthy Foundations staff.
- Collaborate with the Development Director, and Board of Directors to identify and pursue community donations and grant funding including marketing the organization to the public, cultivating relationships with donors, and assisting in coordination and implementation of fundraising events.
- Evaluate and approve all important child, program, and supply needs in a timely and effective manner. This can include such things as basic care needs, transportation needs, supplies or activity expense requests, building or equipment repairs or purchase requests, etc.
- Develop and implement systems of personnel recruitment and management, service delivery, evaluation, and collaboration, working with and reporting to the Board of Directors, donations, fund-raising, and community relations, and other areas of WCS operations.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Watson Children’s Shelter
Attn: Becky Garner
4978 Buckhouse Lane
Missoula, MT 59804